In the Digital Era, there are no boundaries for learning salsa dancing. If the local studio’s classes don’t fit into your schedule or if you live in a region without classes, you can still learn one of the most passionate of dances. Online salsa classes, whether you’re watching a pre-filmed tutorial or taking a Skype class in real time, give you the benefits of an in-person class but without time or regional restrictions. It’s the only way many newer salsa dancers can learn the techniques, get the instruction, and squeeze in the practice they need to become better dancers.
However, just like virtual office environments or online schools, going digital isn’t for everyone. You know yourself best, and can probably correctly guess whether you’d thrive or flounder with an online salsa lesson. For starters, a lot of dancers like the social aspect of attending a class. You won’t get as much of that (if any) with an online class.
Is an online salsa class the right fit for you? Here are a few of the best types of people suited for these classes:
- The busy bee. If your schedule is so slam packed that it’s truly impossible to go to a studio or in-person private class, online classes might be for you. It’s likely that you’re ambitious and driven, which is a great complement to taking online classes. You’ll need to motivate yourself, especially if you’re preferring pre-filmed classes instead of live video classes, and clearly you already make that happen!
- The introverted dancer. “Why are you so quiet?” is a question many introverts dread. It can be awkward, intimidating and overwhelming for these types of dancers to join a group class or even one-on-one private class in person at first. Online classes give you the comfort of a little anonymity and being at home while still learning the dance.
- The rural area dancer. If there are no studios or teachers in your area, don’t worry. Sometimes we become online students out of necessity. However, if you’re really committed to taking classes, online is a fantastic option. Dabble and see if you prefer filmed classes, a Skype lesson, or a little of both.
- The dancer who needs to control the lessons. Have you ever taken a salsa class and wish you could ask the instructor to go over a certain step a few times—but felt self-conscious “disrupting” other students? Sure, you could take private lessons, but those are costly! With virtual lessons, you can either rewind the lessons as much as you like or ask your private, affordable e-teacher to go at your preferred pace. Many people are successful when they’re put in the driver’s seat!
- The special needs dancer. Maybe you have trouble hearing most instructors, or you need modifications that aren’t usually offered in a group class. Outside of costly in-person private lessons, virtual lessons are your golden ticket to getting the instruction you deserve. With virtual lessons, you can control the speed, sound, repetition and/or get the benefits of a solo lesson without the cost.
- The teched out dancer. If you can’t live without your smartphone and tablet, are always the first to try out new technology, and can’t fathom why anyone would go old school salsa dancing when thousands of options are at their fingertips, virtual lessons are probably for you! It’s a natural choice for any tech lover, and you can check out which platforms and devices are your favorites.
- The brides and grooms to-be on a budget. Want to wow your family and friends with a special salsa wedding first dance, but have been sticker shocked when you shopped around for lessons? First dances require private instruction, but that’s out of budget for many brides and grooms already tapped out with venues, flowers, and more. Virtual instructions can give you the instruction you need for a memorable first dance while still leaving enough pocket change to spring for those favors.
These are just a few of the types of dancers who may be a perfect fit for virtual lessons. Do you fit into any of these categories—or are you the type who fits this approach for a different reason?
P.S. Check out Dance Papi’s video lessons to start learning today!